Monday 18 June 2007

My first 6 months with Vista...

So I got Windows Vista Ultimate with a new laptop back in December. I've been using it since, but also run two other Windows XP computers at home. I thought after 6 months, now is a good time for a quick review.

When I spoke with Microsoft about a new Enterprise Agreement at work, they were VERY aggressive about trying to convince me that the new Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows Vista were simply amazing. Yes I know, does anyone expect anything else from Microsoft? Of course not, but even then... I was very suspicious about Vista since I have not heard, or read ANYTHING that could convince me of this system being revolutionary.

Microsoft kept pushing security and ease-of-use. Problem is that XP gets security updates VERY regularly so I'm not bothered by new holes being constantly discovered, and ease-of-use? XP is already easy to use, it's also solid and has VERY wide support. But, I got the new laptop and Ultimate pre-installed, so I've been using it.

Overall... the only function that I've found remotely useful in Vista has been the search function (since now Vista works like OS X, in that it searches as soon as you start typing. Try out iTunes for Windows to get a taste of this). Other than that here is a list of things I don't like in vista:

-Application stability. My Firefox (for example) LOVES to freeze for about 10 seconds after I start it up. It's very annoying but usually comes back fine. Then, once running it does crash on me. Never bringing the whole system down (thank God) but still how annoying is that?

-Driver support. I can't believe this is STILL an issue after 6 months! It's incredible really and the biggest complaint from me. I don't care who's fault it is... Microsoft for bringing out a new system which is more difficult to make drivers for, or the vendors who are too lazy to update their drivers. What's truly amazing is that this effects the big boys too, HP, Logitech (my webcam still isn't supported), Dell, etc. I don't know what the problem is... but Microsoft should start kicking arse and asking questions later... this is unacceptable!

-Switched menus. Now before you say that its a new OS and you have to get used to things being in different places... I have two things to say to that. 1. it's been 6 months and I still have problems (ok maybe my IQ is so low that learning where new menus are is just difficult for me). 2. If it works, why fix it? I mean the menus were fine in Windows 2000, XP, etc... so why switch them? I haven't heard anyone complain that the menus were particularly difficult to use in the older Windows. Is it perhaps that Microsoft needed to make Vista look more different than it actually is?

-Direct X 10. Technically Microsoft can easily slap all the graphical "enhancements" of Vista into XP, including Direct X 10. They are trying to use the Direct X as a way to force people to upgrade. Direct X is what Windows uses for it's graphical interface, including games. The irony is that games running under Vista run slower, so someone at Microsoft just made the wrong decision on this one.

So overall... Vista looks pretty. And it might be okay for the average home user (not the gamer!) and there is NO REASON to roll it out at work (in fact I'd avoid it like the plague as it has higher hardware spec requirements). I don't know about you... but the new Apple Leopard is looking better and better to me :-) Then again, what Vista has really done for me... is made me fall in love with Windows XP all over again. Thanks Microsoft.

No comments: